Purity Ring - Christian Brainwashing?It's a ring, made of a silver, gold or some other metal. It is supposed to signify virginity celibacy until marriage. They have been around since the 1990's, being invented by United States Christian sexual abstinence groups (leave it to us to come up with this crap). What amazes me is that people actually believe all this Christian brainwashing crap. Suckers!

This story isn't about whether religion or Christianity is bullshit or not, although I will say all religion is a Joke and just a waste of everyone's time. It was invented by people to put fear into them, and keep them serving thier wishes. I don't care whether it's Christian, Muslim, Islamic, Jewish, or some other religion…… it's all a big joke at your expense!!! I will save the religious debate for another time however.

Back to this purity ring nonsense…. A 16 year old London girl, Lydia Playfoot has asked the U.K. High Court to enforce her rights to wear a purity ring in school. The incident started when her school in West-Sussex imposed a ban on purity rings. Apparently the school already had a ban on wearing of any jewelery, whether religious or not. This Christian lemming, Lydia Playfoot, wants to make this into a religious discrimination case. Stop wasting everyones previous time and money and get a life already! She's 16, she should be having fun and doing teenager stuff instead of worrying about her chastity! It's not sacred, it's not special…. it's natural. We EVOLVED (oh, no…yes it's true; EVOLUTION really DID happen) with penises and vagina's for a reason. Do you see rabbits or chickens or cats or dogs waiting to have sex till they get married?

The school banned jewelery, religious or not and I hope the U.K. court can see that it's not a discrimination thing at all. She should be liable for the expenses the government has had to endure on her behalf!

Purity Rings – Just More Christian Brainwashing?
Tagged on:

97 thoughts on “Purity Rings – Just More Christian Brainwashing?

• July 19, 2008 at 8:12 pm

One more thing. Y’all hate when we complain about you not believing in God and you know how annoying that is. Well, what do you think you are doing here??? It’s VERY ANNOYING!!! You can’t change it and never will be able to so why not go and live your life to the fullest?

• July 28, 2008 at 6:59 pm

U R just sick if u really love ur girlfriend u would respect her wishs u r soooooooooooooooooooooooo WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• August 16, 2008 at 9:04 am

An example of inconsistent thinking.

The writer argues that teens are sexually active (and ought to be) because we evolved that way. He goes on to point out that rabbits and chickens don’t wait to get married to have sex.
    If the writer is going to give evolution of sexual activities the credit for why people are the way they are, then he also needs to realize that evolution would be responsible for such things as purity rings.

Simply put, if premarital sex came by evolution, then so did purity rings; therefore, quit whining.

• August 28, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Hey guys, isn’t it funny that an atheist can explain how life here on earth evolved, but they can’t explain how life actually got here? And they call themselves “rational thinkers”! I, on the other hand, will continue my faith as a Christian. However, I will not allow any of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ impose any of their unrealistic ideals on me, call it biblical, then turn around and condemn me just because I disagree with some of their views. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

• August 29, 2008 at 9:53 pm

haha…this si such i funny article i sat here and laughed and laughed. Some people are so stupid it’s outrageously stupid. Im sorry you see the world this way and some day i hope you see the light!

• September 25, 2008 at 2:52 pm

There was a whole heck of a lot more beliefs before Christianity showed up. People just seem to have to believe in stories that can in no way be proven or disproven, it helps them deal with death. If a strong belief helps somebody then that’s fine they can believe in it, but for somebody to say how DARE you criticise a religious belief it is rather hypocritical. Are they not doing the same to non religous people’s belief system? I myself am a man of science, of logic and fact. I have a much better time believing in evolution as I have seen it happen in experiments myself than I do in an omnipitent being who is all knowing. I like to be in control of my own life, not worry about being judged all the time. Life is short, as long as you are a good person and try to have fun, make a living, that’s all that matters.

• September 25, 2008 at 3:03 pm

I will agree that religion is an idea formed through the evolution of the Human brain, as human’s like to be able to explain everything. When they can’t the brain comes up with a less plausible idea to believe in. The human mind is the most powerful machine in existence, we all have the potential to be Gods. Abilities such as telekenisis, telepathy and others are locked within our minds, one of the next stages of Human evolution might unlock those, if we don’t destroy the planet first.

• October 13, 2008 at 11:45 am

I can’t believe people are trying to say christianity isn’t a religion, yes it is. When we are born we know nothing, if somebody says there’s an invisble man in the sky little kids aren’t the wiser. Everybody who claims to feel the love of jesus is full of shit, your part of a manipulated cult that dates back 2000 years. You actually think the works is 6000 years old despite piles and piles of evidenced that proves otherwise. If a person wants to where a bullshit ring let them who gives a fuck, all you proud christians reading this are proabably in denial about it, so here’s a test go ask your pastor if Jesus ever got a blowjob. As far as sex goes it should be between two people who are both ready.

• December 4, 2008 at 8:18 pm

It is their opinion to wear a purity ring I’m Christian and I don’t have one! Relating it to cats and dogs doesn’t help because THEIR ANIMALS!!! Also you can’t tell people it doesn’t work stop doing that because that is their freedom of religion rights and if you don’t know what that is it’s in the first amendment saying you can’t tell people how to practice their religions!

• December 7, 2008 at 2:33 pm

okay i am a jesus freak and i am sick of ppl saying its bull crap GOD IS REAL EVOLUTION IS BULL BULLCRAP!!!!!!!! people can have opinions i have many and i am in te process of the purity study and i am 14 and you say teens should do teenager stuff well what if teenager stuff isnt having sex okay ppl say sex is kool we guess what i say to that you think its kool well i am doing something WAYYYYYY more kool and staying pure untill marriage the man i get married to deserves to have the first sex with me and i deserve his ( i dont kno how to put that lol ) and thats my opinion

ashley Reply:

REPLY TO ciera:
    dude, your 14 and your taking a vow of purity? your not even mature enough to make that decition, thats my opinion.
    no sex before marraige ruins relationships. sex is known to be the best way to show someone you care and love them. and some people cant handle a relationship without that effection. there is nothing wrong with having sex, its natural. and i back up the statement in the article above, “Do you see rabbits or chickens or cats or dogs waiting to have sex till they get married?” there gods creations to APPARENTLY so why dont they? i use to be christian, but now ive realised its total bull shit.

anon Reply:

How can you sit there and say an unproven belief is bull crap, while science, which has disproven your belief time and time again, is bull crap

Faith Reply:

Good for you,
    Wait till marriage…

• December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOO!
    i agree so much haha.

religion was made up,
    and now everyone believes all
    the lies, and following “the way of god”
    and wasting there life.

xox.

• January 10, 2009 at 3:04 pm

To wear a purity ring is to discriminate all who arnt virgins, and it is as to say: I am worth more than you, I am pure.

It is unbelivably ignorant and MEAN.

And that missionaries teach abstinence only
    in countries where HIV/Aids is on the raise, that just pisses me of!
    IT MAKES ME REALLY UPSET!

Megan Reply:

the fact that people wear purity rings around you has absolutelty nothing to do with making you feel bad or upset. They are not wearing them to upset you or for attention. they are wearing them to show the commitment they made in their heart on the outside. They are wearing it for their future spouse. It has absolutely nothing to do with you. This is a pretty selfish and incorrect statement. Christians do not wear purity rings to be “mean”.

Tasha Reply:

just because people wear purity rings, doesn’t mean they think they’re better. they just are saying, it’s my choce, not yours.

• January 22, 2009 at 7:22 pm

How DARE you believe in god! That’s just ridiculous! God is a symbol of fear who has caused most of the shit that’s wrong with this world. I am a VERY rational teenage boy who happens to be an laugh at christ followers like you. Its brainwashing, its a personal choice, but you made an uneducated one. Some people take it, some don’t. Like I said, its a CHOICE. Seriously… making a website dedicated to bashing religions is one step closer to a society of thinkers. Honestly, I’m hoping you get over this whole god idea. I’m not praying for you, as i do not waste my time on such foolish activities.

• January 22, 2009 at 7:32 pm

atheism is not a religion, it’s a denial of deities. Also, most “christians” have not even read the bible, the Atheist are the ones who have read it, thought rationally, and said “this is bullshit, the earth is not 5,000 years old, that’s been proven”. But the christians look and say “All the works of modern science could not possibly equal the work of cattle-sacrificing primitives who believe every animal on earth lived within walking distance of noah’s house.”

• January 22, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Why is it so good to believe in something without evidence?
    Also christianity(and religion in general) is a bad thing because leaders of this world make decisions based on their faith, which winds up with deaths, simply because someone else has a different religion.

• January 22, 2009 at 7:43 pm

You believe the rational thinker knows nothing, yet your post is riddled with spelling errors?
    And atheist should criticize other religions, as religion is a crutch for the human mid to lean on when they fear or have unanswered questions.

• August 16, 2009 at 1:37 pm

You need the Lord. I’m praying for you. Honestly, what’s so bad about religion? I, personally, am Christian, but I’m going to speak for all religions. Think about this, you “rational thinker”. Only approximately 2.3% of the ENTIRE WORLD’S population is atheist. So, for all you “rational thinkers” out there, doesn’t that say something? That makes you irrational. Why would people rather believe what 2.3% of the population believes? Do you really think that makes you smarter? Well, it doesn’t. The big bang theory is complete nonsense. Where did the darkness even come from? and the atom? No one knows. So before you start dissing religion for not having all of the answers, you should check yourself and see if YOU have all the answers. And there IS scientific proof of Christianity.

And why do you find it necessary to make a website about this? Do you think you’re going to change the beliefs of about 98% of the world’s population? Well think again “rational thinker”. It’s not happening. And I don’t understand what gives you atheists the drive to do good in the world. Since you believe that you’re supposedly going to die and turn into dust anyways. Honestly, if I didn’t have anything to live for, I’d just kill myself. But I believe that God wants me to put others before myself, and I’ll be rewarded in heaven. I think you’re all just scared to admit that there is a superior being to yourself. You’re afraid to think that there’s someone who can end the would as quickly as He created it. You’re afraid to admit that you need a change in your life. And finally, you’re afraid to life the Christian lifestyle. I’m not trying to shove religion down your throat, but stop shoving your atheism down mine. You can have your beliefs, but STOP criticizing others’. Oh, and here’s your scientific proof:

Enjoy. And I am praying that all you atheists will come to your senses. If you have any questions, go to your local church. I’m sure the pastor will be more than happy to answer all of you questions.

Michael Reply:

The hypocrisy, inanity, and controdictory statements your post is just…simply astonishing.

>”You can have your beliefs, but STOP criticizing others’”

Seriously? That’s what you spent most of post doing.

>”Why would people rather believe what…see if YOU have all the answers.”

I don’t have the answers, i don’t know. And neither do you. You claim to know what happens after you die, but you don’t, no one does. You do not posses extra sensory perceptions that others do not, that enable you to know the truth. What you have is a belief, that is all.

>And there IS scientific proof of Christianity.

No. Just damn it no. I read your “proof”, and just no. It claims dinosaurs were mentioned it the bible. But how could they? All non-avian dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago. They were not around 2500 years ago when the Old Testament was written. The rest of it is simply spotty research, filled in with Old Testament quotes.

>And I don’t understand what gives you atheists the drive to do good in the world…Honestly, if I didn’t have anything to live for, I’d just kill myself.

Would you? Would you really? Because i certainly wouldn’t, without a higher power i am perfectly happy. I believe in this world, i believe in this life. I believe in people, and doing some good in this world without any higher reason. So if the only reason you believe in God is to save your ass just in case you’re right, that’s a horrible reason the put faith into something. Fear does not equal redemption.

Please, just take time to consider and think about the world before you spout blind faith all over the place. Don’t assume all atheist are like the hate spewing, Christian hating teenagers who are rebelling against everyone. They are a cancer who has fueled a religious war over the internet.

But i don’t know, you don’t know, belief is the only thing we have in this world pertaining to life after death. But that is no reason not to be a decent person in this life, and try to minimize the self destructive, corrupt state that all humans face in life.

And thanks for your time if you read all this, i know it was quite a lot.

Jo Reply:

I was reading through the comments, and you said everything that I was thinking!
    I’m sixteen years old and a proud atheist!
    Thank you for your response to the above comment.
    It made me smile 🙂

megan Reply:

i couldn’t agree with you more. It’s nice to see someone who shares my beliefs write something on this page. Keep living for God 🙂

bethany Reply:

I believe in God too Amen Hallelujah, Jesus and Purity rocks

megan Reply:

that last comment was intended for stephanie sorry if it went somewhere else

• August 21, 2009 at 4:43 pm

wow it amazes me how you think everyone is wrong but you. It must be pretty lonely to think your better than the rest of the world. There is nothing wrong with waiting for marrige. It’s smart not only from a religious standpoint but also from a medical one. If you save yourself for marrige you will probably not get an STD, if you got pregnant you would be married, maybe not ready for a child, but the childd would have a better life. Maybe you should think about how ignorant you sound before you put this stuff on the internet, for the whole world to read. You obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about since you thought Muslim and Islam were different. I am a proud Christian and I am proud to say I am waiting for marriage. If you want people to respect your opinions at lest try to make it sound like you did some reserch before you say whatever you want.

Mike Reply:

Seriously, how old are you? I just got this vibe from your terrible sentence structure, grammar, and outright blatant misuse of logic, that you must be under 15.

But why, why would you choose to wait for marriage, without knowing what the future will hold for you. You take the pretentious standpoint of the ignorance and close minded views that comes with one of these purity rings. Sure it’s fine to save yourself until marriage, but if you find someone you care about enough to have sex with, why would you deny yourself that experience? Love does not have to equal marriage. But love should equal sharing wonderful things such as sex with your partner. It’s natural, it lets you express how you feel, and it’s an amazing experience.

Yet you choose to live in a shroud of ignorance, and why, i’ll never understand.

megan Reply:

actuallly I’m 16 and as long as I am getting my point across i really don’t care how bad my sentence structure is. And what’s your logic if mine is so flawed? I choose to wait because i want it to mean something. If you have sex with everyone you think you “love” then there is nothing left to give to the person you choose to spend the rest of your life with. Also it is safer if you only have sex with one person you are less likely to get an STD or give one to them. I’m not denying myself anything i am simply waiting for marriage to make my experience better. and i am not close minded. I do not hate people that have premarital sex, i just do not agree with them. I am not ignorant. I am making a very wise decision, I am sorry that you do not understand that.

and by the way do not judge me on my age. I have been through more crap in my life than most people ever go through.

Oh and don’t think that I hate you or am angry with you because I am not. I’m going to pray for you now. Sorry if I sounded pissed I’m just really passionate about this.

Mike Reply:

I’m sorry about that last post, i was just pretty bored and angry.

>and i am not close minded. I do not hate people that have premarital sex, i just do not agree with them

That was all i needed to hear from you. We should simply respect each other, and work together to make this the best life it can be. Most people who i have come across who wear purity rings are elitist individuals who do not respect those who don’t. I’m sorry if i seemed to lump you in with that group.

megan Reply:

it’s cool. Thanks for apologizing, thats really nice of you. I dislike When Christians do that as much as you do. God created everyone equally we are no better than everyone else. I’m sorry that people treat you that way it isn’t right. It is not what the Bible teaches us either. Christians are not supposed to hate anyone, ever. Unfortunatly a lot of us do not think this way. they hate homosexuals, people who have abortions and people who engage in premarital sex or smoke or drink etc. A lot of my closest friends have done these things and i love them, I just do not agree with their choices, i tell them what i believe but i do not force it on them. Who am I to judge anyone? Thats not what God wants us to do.

Mike Reply:

You are honestly one of the few people in this world who seems to have interpreted the bible correctly. You should really be proud of that.

megan Reply:

thank you so much that is the best compliment anyone could ever give me. if you want to keep in touch to share viewpoints that would be really cool. I like to hear other people’s opions and know how to tell them mine without offending them. feel free to add my myspce or facebook.

if you don’t have either of those my email is: ninjaturtle525@aim.com

(if you got this message a bunch my computor is being messed up. sorry)

megan Reply:

thank you so much that is the best compliment anyone could ever give me. If you would like to keep in touch to share viewpoints and stuff that would be cool. I like to hear what other people have to say and learn how to talk to everyone respectfully but still say what i think.
    anyway if you want to add my myspce or facebook or im feel free.

myspace.com/mrod123456789101112131415

facebook.com/megan.e.rodriguez

or ninjaturtle525@aim.com

I’m glad we talked today

• August 25, 2009 at 2:17 am

i really don’t think waiting till you are married is a bad thing. it shows you respect your partner and are willing to do the same. But bashing on religions is a whole different territory. Yes people believe you don’t need a religion, but for others, it’s all they have. The world is full of religion, and so many different kinds. Maybe it was created for brain washing, but we’ll never know. It’s a persons choice to be religious or to be non-religious. and for some people, it’s changed them into better people. So whats the fuss on others opinions?

The world if full of opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own. This makes us all interesting and the SAME in a way. Judge what you will, but don’t hurt people in doing so. I am a christian, and i love a god, but he’s my god, and no one elses. Yes it sounds weird and i’m entitled to that.

The person who wrote this blog is just saying what he believes in. I would do the same. He’s right to say what he wants, so leave him alone if you want to be left alone. i agree with the school thing, if it’s not allowed, wear it on your own time, your a kid, don’t worry about what you might do in the future.

• September 11, 2009 at 5:17 pm

It looks like your trying to employ some brainwashing techniques yourself: “yes, it’s true; EVOLUTION really DID happen”. And why is it that you compare humans to animals?: “Do you see rabbits or chickens or cats or dogs waiting to have sex till they get married?”. Humans are much more intelligent (according to the observation of communication skills, abstract thought, civilization, pursuit of knowledge, aesthetics, et cetera) and hopefully more sophisticated with a sense of morality.

• October 22, 2009 at 2:25 am

I think purity rings are a load of crap. I respect a person’s right to wait until they are married to have sex, but why should they document it with a ring? Is it really so wrong to have sex before you’re married if it’s with the right person?

All purity rings do, is make teenagers feel guilty if they decide they don’t want to wait anymore. It sets them up for failure.

My point is, if a person wants to wait until they’re married, then that’s their decision, just don’t try and glorify it with a ring!

• October 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

I strongly disagree with everything you are saying, you should have some respect for peoples lives, You shouldnt dis religion, when you have never tryed it for yourself if you gave christianity a go even if it was just once you would see what everything is on bout. purity is something special you shoul respect that you are an insensitive guy, however as a christain I love you for who you are you have so much learning to do. good luck!!!

• January 5, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Life came from flash frozen micro-organisms On meteors, which in turn came from rapidly mutating molecules from a highly irradiated sector
    Of space. All of this was started by the big bang which was probably the imploding singularity of another dying universe… Asshole…

• January 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm

While we are writing about Purity Rings – Just More Christian Brainwashing? | IdiotBrain.com, If there is 1 kind of jewelry that’s known to become most important inside a wedding day, there ought to be nothing else to mention but a wedding ring. You’ve the option to wear other kind of jewelry, it’s not restricted. Nevertheless, that ought to come from a nicely believe choice. You should be careful when deciding for that type of ring to wear on the wedding. Place into thoughts that the wedding call is powerful enough to showpiece your hand. Never allow your other rings t outshine the significance of the wedding call. Select simple and elegant jewelry.

• January 14, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I honestly think Purity rings are crap.You don’t need ring to say you’re pure. Some teens wear it and it means nothing.I do respect my best friend because she wants one and she’s waiting til marriage but me, I’m not and she doesn’t really like but it’s her problem she has to learn to respect me viwes about sex before marriage.Saying animals have sex isn’t really a good analogy about sex ya know.

Lonnie Reply:

I know I have many mistakes lol I’ll correct them… a* second sentence, it* my and view* third sentence* and blah…you’ll get it lol

• January 26, 2011 at 10:35 am

@bethany…Religion is as the author put it, a man made dogma meant to enslave other people into beleiving something that is not real.

Moving on, sex is a natural human expeirence and the church has deemed is bad, especially out of wedlock. If you are over 18 and practice safe sex, there is nothing wrong with expereincing sex. Its what humans do. Purity is a man made thing to enslave you into thinking the way some ,ythical old man in the sky want you to do. If you really beleive in god, you have to ask, why would god be interested in your sex life? Since there is no god its a rhetorical question.

You should really join the 21st century bethany and leave this religious dogma behind. BTW, there is no satan either.

Megan Reply:

@saganhill What i really don’t understand is why it’s so offensive to atheists that Christians believe in God. Yes I know there are extremists who give Christians a horrible name and for that I am sorry. I dislike them just as much as you do. But most Christians are about love and compassion and treating others as Jesus did. Why is it a problem for you if they believe in someone you think isn’t real? It certainly isn’t hurting you.

I don’t hate atheists. I disagree with them but i never attack there beliefs or call them ignorant or stupid. I think everyone no matter what their religious affiliation or lack of one, all need to respect other people. no matter how much we disagree.

I proudly wear a purity ring. Do i think it makes me holy? no. I wear it because it reminds me that my husband is more important to me than some college romance that may or may not last. I want my first time to mean more than that. Plus i don’t think I can emotionally handle giving myself to someone and then them break up with me. Not all marriages last, but there’s less risk there.

that being said I don’t judge people that have sex outside of wedlock and God doesn’t hate people who do either (Have you heard of forgiveness?). I just think waiting is better and God intended for sex to be very special and having it outside of marriage just takes away from that.

• January 29, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I am proud of this 16 year old,
    Fighting to wear her purity ring. She should be able to wear it, as teen girls are allow to wear a Metallica shirt to school, I bet this girl doesn’t like rock music as people don’t like her purity ring. Does her purity ring hurt anybody, NO.
    Grow up schools, if this girl wants to wear a purity ring then so be it, its not hurting anyone. My God, its the schools fault its there wrong doing not hurts, she should be able to wear that ring. I wish more girls was like her, cause this World honestly makes me sick. My kids are so going to be homeschooled.

• June 29, 2011 at 1:33 am

Ok, first of all, i agree with you about the whole “God” thing and other peoples beliefs. But I don’t think the religion had the sole purpose of bringing fear, religion was created to explain what couldn’t be explained…
    Second of all, I don’t agree with you saying that a purity ring is a christian thing. Yes, it was created by Christians but I think that it’s a symbol that anyone can use in there own way.
    Third of all, I also don’t agree with you saying that evolution produced penises and vaginas cause we have always had female and male sex organs. (btw I’m gonna bring a little science and tecnicality into this) Also, humans are the only organisms in the world who have a part of the brain sectioned off for reason (thats why wemre so over populated). So, if you think about it, of course cats and dogs don’t remain celibut until there married because they don’t even have the knoledge or reason too.