The mortgage crisis is about to hit full throttle, and the brittle “house” of cards about to come crashing down on the US economy. The government is trying to rescue us by lowering interest rates and introducing a stimulus package to energize the economy. I feel that these efforts are not going to fix the root of the problem and things are going to get much much worse before there is any sign of a recovery. Here are seven creative ways in which we could revitalize the economy and keep us from becoming the bitch of the modern world.
Some of these could help revitalize our economy and even bring back the housing boom of 2005.
1. Make Walmart buy more of their goods from US Manufacturers – legislation should be passed to impose sanctions on Walmart as they are one of the biggest reasons our economy is going to shit. Where do you think all those tax rebates checks are going to be spent? Walmart. This in turn will mean even more money going straight back to China!
2. Legalize, Regulate and Tax things that society says is bad for us, but we do them anyways. Legalize some of the softer drugs, imagine all the marijuana tax money that would flow into the government coffers! Not to mention all the lost money that is laundered overseas so that is remains hidden from American authorities. Legalize and tax prostitution – men will pay for sex if it’s illegal or not, so why not profit off of it? They travel to popular sex tourism destinations like Thailand, Costa Rica, and Amsterdam just to get off, over and over. Conventional wisdom says that if pay-for-sex were legal and regulated, many of those people would stop travelling abroad and start banging more of our women here. Strip clubs are already seeing a slow down here in America, and many of them are fronts for prostitution anyways. Stop punishing and legalize it!
3. Ship our criminals to Cuba, Iran, North Korea or some other country we hate. Hell, Cuba did it to us! We spend billions on jails and the penal system every year – let’s just get rid of these people and turn the corrections system into forced labor camps! I’m not proposing all the criminals get sent away, and I don’t have a suggestion as to the which crimes warrant staying and which shouldn’t but it would cut down on the amount of prisons we have to pay to keep open. Of course #2 above would take care of a lot of the felons too. We could even have public executions of the worst of our criminals, imagine the flow of money from corporate sponsorships and ticket fees.
4. The government should step in and mandate free movie and music downloads for everyone – Hollywood needs to come up with a better way to monetize their productions via advertising, sponsorships or some other newfound way. They are already losing billions in revenue anyways from it. It should lower costs in the long run and make for fewer shitty movies and horrible singers. Outsource the advertising to Google or something.
5. Retroactively cap executive pay – these guys are way overpaid as it is, yet they keep getting more and more money for less and less work on their part. Make them pay back to the American people all the money they have taken and lined their own pockets with.
6. Let Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran and all the other hotspots we want to control destroy themselves. We could focus more on preventing nuclear weapons from crossing our borders and spur domestic defense spending. Do we really care about Iraq? Other than to make sure we get their oil for years to come? We could even come in after they blow themselves up in 50 years to pillage any resources that are still left.
7. Tax religion! These guys take so much money from people and brainwash them to keep believing. I don’t know about you but we shouldn’t be giving tax breaks to these institutions that try to control every aspect our lives. They harbor child molesters. They lie to us! They hinder technological innovation and have done so for thousands of years! It’s time to me these religious fuckers pay for their “sins”.
I know some of these are very sensitive subjects for some…………. It’s 2008 and many things just aren’t working anymore. It’s time to change.
What do you think?